Monday, May 23, 2011

Car Seat Recovering!

I knew that I would have some crafting down weeks with the new little one's arrival, so I had saved up some of my baby projects to highlight when Josiah had arrived! One of the things that I saw on blogs, as well as on Etsy, was a custom made car seat cover. We have one more good year out of our infant carrier, so I thought the fabric could use some sprucing up. When I found out we were having a boy I found some Michael Miller fabric that I loved and thought that it would be great for the car seat. I didn't take any before pictures of the car seat, but here is one with Brooklynn in it!

The first thing that I did was take off all the bias tape on the original cover. It was not a quick process (but I was able to watch a couple movies while I did it!) This was the scarriest part because I knew I was all in and had to finish it! I know there are many different car seats out there. Mine is a Baby Trend and this is how I did it.

I first made a pattern for my large seat portion adding 1/2 inch seam allowances.

I then pinned it to my fabric and cut it out.

I did the same thing for my headrest piece as well as the buckle cover. Once all the pieces were cut out I sewed the pieces right on top of the original. I also made sew lines right over the original ones using the back as a guide. Once I had the pieces put together, I had a lot of bias tape to put on!!! Now, I was running out of time, afraid baby was going to get here before the car seat was done, so a dear friend offered to do the bias tape and the button holes (where the straps go through) for me. I was SO thankful and this is how my beauty turned out.

I did the canopy later, and was happy with how it turned out. It also was layered on top of the existing fabric and sewn together.

Look at all that bias tape!!!

I love this fabric and am super happy with how it turned out! Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!