Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Etching!!!

So, I have tried my hand at glass etching. I have been wanting to do this for a while. Being the cheapskate that I am, I could not bear to spend $30 at Michaels for a 10 oz. bottle of cream or wait for the $16 one online to come. I finally found a coupon for Michaels and bought the cream! Yeah! So, I entered the land of etching cream with a bit of a love/hate relationship. I have learned a lot and hope to share some of those things!

First, I found these jars at Ross for $1.99. I love them, but definietly saw some potential for personalizing!

I then got my trusty Armour Etch and foam brush out. I read up about the cream online and it looks like it can be pretty nasty stuff, so I did not touch it.

I made my design on the Silhouette software and put my design through the machine on vinyl.

I adhered the vinyl to the canisters. Just an FYI, but whatever letters or objects are exposed will be etched!

I then globbed the cream onto the canisters. This is the part that was tricky for me. These are the second ones that I have done and I was not happy with the first (hence why they are not being showcased on the blog!). I would recommend putting enough cream over the stencil so that you cannot see the stencil through the cream. I did not put enough on the first time and it did not turn out well. I also chose to wait a bit longer than the recommended time so that the etching had time to process. Also, don't put on too much cream so it runs down the sides of the jars onto the sides of the glass (caught that one just in time :) After waiting the allotted time I rinsed the cream off under warm tap water and pulled the vinyl off and viola!


Again, I apologize for my poor photography skills, but thought these turned out nicely. They were quick, easy and could easily be personalized! I think my next etching will be a vase! Since I am about a week away from my due date, I hope my next post will be about a new little man in our household, but we will have to wait and see :) Thanks!

1 comment:

I love to hear from you!