I cannot tell you how excited I am to have this project done!!! A friend of mine had asked me to do this and I thought it was the perfect opportunity for me to learn how to do it well! I love subway art, maybe it is my love for language or maybe the 4 years of my life that I spent reading and studying English at my Alma mater, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Anyway, I have been wanting to figure out how to do it well for quite some time. I found a tutorial located here, on I am momma hear me roar. I love the way that mine turned out, but I did not use the same program to make the art. Let me begin by showing you my mistake. I tried first by making stencils to put on the board. I thought it would be easier, but turned out TERRIBLE!!!!
After I scraped this idea I went hunting on the web. When I found the tutorial on I am momma hear me roar I knew that it would be the perfect solution. I had been having trouble transferring the correct proportions to the board. So instead of using picnik to create the art, I used Powerpoint. I liked using it because I could specify on page layout the exact size I wanted printed, in my case it was a 18x24. I then clicked on View and then on grid lines which was great to be able to align my words the way I wanted them. I added all my text and adjusted the sizes using click and drag and font size. Once I got it the way I wanted, I printed it to a PDF. I then sent it to Staples as an engineering blueprint and loved the way it turned out. The letters were crisp and the black was very dark on the page. I then followed the directions on I am momma hear me roar to finish it up and this is how it turned out!
And another from the side...
I did distress the sides and the front of the paper. A word of caution, if you don't want to smudge the letters, make sure the glue that you spray does not get on your hands, as mine did! It still turned out well, but I like to distress purposefully not because of my mistakes, ha!
Hope all is well and you may be seeing more subway art on here!